Daimler is launching a new mobility concept, providing a future-oriented answer to increasing traffic volume in urban areas. The scheme, known as car2go, will allow people to rent a smart anywhere and anytime, at a moment's notice, with all costs going to a pre-registered credit card or monthly bill. Users will be charged by the minute, and can leave their car anywhere within the city limits for the next customer.
On 24 October 2008 the first pilot phase will start in the southern German city of Ulm, where car2go will be tested in real-life conditions. “car2go is an intelligent and creative solution that provides a simple, flexible and value-for-money approach to mobility with environmentally-friendly vehicles” is how Dr Dieter Zetsche, CEO of Daimler AG and head of Mercedes-Benz Cars, describes the objective of the project. Although there are good intentions in car2go and it would provide a convenient solution for some, will motorists ever be able to sacrifice having their own personal vehicle?
New! the little book of smart by Paul Jackson.
- From watchmaker to car manufacturer, Swatch launched the successful smart brand - now part of Mercedes-Benz
- Sales of over 750,000 cars in ten years
- Coverage includes the city-coupé, fortwo, crossblade, forfour & roadster coupé: all smart cars produced since 1998
- Most up-to-date publication on smart
- Covers the all-new fortwo for 2007
- Announcement of the brand's long-awaited US debut
- Contains comprehensive details of smart clubs & specialists, plus relevant websites
- 128 pages packed with 100 colour pictures & entertaining text
click here for more info